Monday, August 18, 2008

Preparations for Paulina

I suppose I should clean Totoro out.

I have a theory/lazy habit that if I don't unpack from camping, I'm always prepared to go camping.

A flaw in that theory is when you leave perishable supplies in the van for a week or two of the hottest weather seen in Central Oregon this summer. Or when you forget you exhausted your supply of necessities like toilet paper/matches/Red Vines/Mike&Ikes etc. and don't stock up before your next trip.

We are headed to Paulina Lake next weekend for two or three nights. There are hot springs on Paulina Lake as well as East Lake; Sommer and I have been dying for more soaking so this I a major draw to the area for us. The problem is that both springs are said to be about a 4 mile hike around to the north side of the lakes. Normally, four miles would not be an issue but, with Sommer being told by the midwife not to hike or bike the rest of the pregnancy, it looks like we'll be boating across. Oh well. I suppose paddling a canoe is less stress on your pelvis than Sommer's usual cliff drops and table tops on a Mt. Bike.

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

Absolutely beautiful, Bren - I miss you guys! I'm glad someone's having fun camping this summer!

Anonymous said...

Heck, until we came to Bend, Mellow Yellow was always packed for camping. Perishables were to be picked up on the way out of town, a list was made at the end of the previous camping trip to alert me to any supplies that needed refreshing--I was always ready to go.

But with the demise of Mrs Elliott's Volvo just before our departure from our old home, and the sale of my 71 VW baywindow, Mellow Yellow has been our daily driver and, doing double duty, I know that some camping necessities have gone a little astray. So it's likely we'll get to camp the next time with something like the salt or coffee mugs or sleeping bags missing.

Enjoy your trip!